Aug 292016
 

Ecstatic_Villain_01

This week the boys managed an entire weekend of deving at Jona’s apartment in the southern part of Stockholm.

Let’s read what they’ve got to write!


J I have gotten a lot done this week, a lot of the time has however been spent re-exporting, renaming and normalizing assets for use in our sharp Unity project. I won’t bore you with a list of assets, I may instead start creating some videos on how said assets were made.

Let’s get down to business! I have as the more dedicated readers know been working steadily towards making our environmental assets as modular (read procedural) as possible.

Aug21st_Houdini1

So far the focus has been on the geometry side of things, with the weekend’s work-camp we can happily say that it’s been a success, we can now easily build geometry with auto-generated colliders and UV-mapping to build our grey-boxed levels with.

Aug21st_Houdini2

These greyboxed levels will, in an ideal world, be automatically turned into a finalized state by updating the Houdini Digital Assets they are connected to, we will then have parts cut up and put into DunGen our randomization tool of choice.

Cobble stones final

Cobble stones final

Above, you see my first hand-painted cobble stone texture, looking back at Recap 4 I started looking into a substance based system for creating the base for my textures.

Looking at it now with a few more hours in the program I realize that there must be a way to get the “close to hand-painted PBR-softness” look, I want for the game, without spending hours upon hours on rendering inside if Photoshop.

Aug21st_tile

Well trodden cobble stone road

Above you can see my first attempt at this, the size differences could be toned down, and even more importantly; the way some of these are angled compared to their neighbors, still feel more than a bit off.

substance designer not looking great

Noticeable and weird

I’ve also been doing a lot of twerking with Krister’s prefabs but don’t tell him that!


K WOW what a great week, things are getting back to normal after the summer, my students are back in school and we managed to have a complete weekend focusing on Eco Tales.

I’m in the progress of settings some key functionality in stone (steatite or something not to hard if we want to be able to change it) and we are finally moving towards being able to show some really early gameplay.

I only have one issue this week that bothers me, something is going on with my prefabs, I don’t know if it is Unity 5.4 that is acting up or something but weird things are happening that I will have to adress.


As always, if you like this post, then please consider retweeting it or sharing it on Facebook!

 Tagged with: ,